Tom Petty Died of Accidental Drug Overdose, Autopsy Shows

New York( AP) — Tom Petty died last year because of an accidental medication overdose that his family said occurred on the same day he found out his hip was infringe after performing dozens of demonstrates with a less serious injury.

His wife and daughter liberated the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement Friday on his Facebook page, minutes before coroner’s officials in Los Angeles released their findings and the rocker’s full autopsy report. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was due to a variety of medications.

The coroner’s findings demonstrated Petty had a mix of prescription analgesics, sedatives and an antidepressant. Among the drugs found in his system were fentanyl and oxycodone. An accidental overdose of fentanyl was likewise determined to have killed Prince in April 2016.

Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee troubles that caused him suffering, the family said, but he was still committed to touring.

He had just wrapped up a tour a few periods before he died in October at age 66.

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on transgres and it is our feeling that the ache was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over utilize of medication, ” his family’s statement said, adding that he performed more than 50 concerts with a fractured hip.

The family said Petty had been prescribed various ache drugs for his multitude of issues, including fentanyl patches, and “we feel confident that this was, as the coroner detected, an inauspicious accident.”

They added: “As a family we recognize this report may trigger a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and needed discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate harm or simply do not understand the effectivenes and deadly nature of these medications.”

Painkillers and sedatives are among the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S ., but both drug types slow users’ heart rate and breathing. The Food and Drug Administration has warned against mixing them because the combination can lead to breathing troubles, coma and death.

Government figures released in December showed that for the first time, the powerful analgesic fentanyl and its close opioid cousins played a bigger role in the deaths than any other legal or illegal drug, outdoing prescription pain pills and heroin.

Petty was a rock superstar with the persona of an everyman who drew upon the Byrds, Beatles and other bands he adored as a son in Gainesville, Florida. He rendered classics that include “Free Fallin ‘, ” ” Refugee” and “American Girl.” He and his longtime band the Heartbreakers had recently completed a 40 th-anniversary tour, one he hinted would be their last.

The shaggy-haired blond rose to success in the 1970 s and went on to sell more than 80 million records. He was desired for his melodic hard rock, nasally vocals and down-to-earth style. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted Petty and the Heartbreakers in 2002, praised them as “durable, resourceful, hard-working, likable and unpretentious.”


Associated Press Writers Leanne Italie and Stephanie Nano contributed to this report.

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

France would have left EU in similar referendum to UK’s, says Macron

Cotton Says No One Expressed Offense at Trumps Africa Comment